Friday, July 10, 2009

After They're Gone

This is a song I wrote about mending broken relationships. Upon reviewing some family history with my Aunt, I was reminded of things that I would have liked to have said to my father and others who have passed away. My Dad was flawed but in my eyes a remarkable man. I miss him and the things we never did together as well as the things we never said to each other.

After They’re Gone.............................Michael Raucci ©

Fathers that die too soon
Mothers that cry too soon
When Death comes it’s a little too late
No chance to say bye to you
To say sorry that I lied to you
Time wasted is time testing fate

Wrote letters that I meant for you
That I have never sent to you
Sometimes you lose when you wait
Rehearsed lines that I’d say to you
Emotions I’d display for you
My pride masquerading as hate

(chorus)
After they’re gone
You can’t throw your arms ‘round them then
After they’re gone
Don’t leave things left to be said
Don’t wait ‘til the shadows grow long
Cause it’s too late after they’re gone

Things that you said to me
I was too blind to see
Now I see my mistake
Memories of what we would do
Are all I have left of you
There’s Nothing left to make

Harsh things that he said to you
Things that you meant to do
Call it water under the bridge
Don’t want to say I should have
Right now is time you still have
Stop asking time to blunt the edge

(chorus)
After they’re gone
You can’t throw your arms ‘round them then
After they’re gone
Don’t leave things left to be said
Don’t wait ‘til the shadows grow long
Cause it’s too late after they’re gone

All those things we planned to do
Now it’s just too late for you
In the darkness the shadows have gone
No more sandy crossing lines
Your gonna wish for more time
After they’re gone

(chorus)
After they’re gone
There’s nothing left to do
After they’re gone
It’s too late to say I love you
Don’t wait ‘til the shadows grow long
Cause it’s too late after they’re gone
Yah it’s too late after they’re gone

Fathers that die too soon
Mothers that cry too soon
When Death comes it’s a little too late
No chance to say bye to you
To say sorry that I lied to you
Time wasted is time testing fate

No comments:

Post a Comment